Launch Your Career and Stay Engaged with SEEK!
SEEK benchmarks are designed for you and your counselor to monitor your continued accomplishments. You’ve made it to your senior year! It is important that you take significant steps to start a job search that will increase the likelihood of obtaining a job in your chosen field or planning for graduate or professional studies.
The following are detailed benchmarks you should accomplish during your final semesters.
- Complete my final official worksheet at the Advisement Center (NVC 5-215) and give a copy to my SEEK Counselor
- Apply for December, June, or August Graduation at the Registrar Office or on CUNYfirst. Be aware of deadlines.
- Connect with at least one of my professors to discuss my post-graduation plans
- Fulfill all my graduation requirements
- Schedule and attend two appointments with my counselor per semester
- Familiarize myself with mental health (e.g. counseling center), health (e.g. student health services center), and other wellness resources on campus
- Check my Baruch email daily
- Complete the SEEK Senior Survey
- Update and re-upload my resume and cover letter to the Starr Career Center database
- Sign up online for Starr Search for part-time jobs, internships, etc.
- Attend mandatory On Campus Recruiting workshop (OCR)
- Participate in a mock interview video using the Starr Career Center
- Attend career-related fairs such as Senior Start Up, Internship and Diversity Fairs and Career Day
- Explore and apply to post-graduation opportunities
- Attend a minimum of two professional related workshops (e.g. Starr’s business and dining etiquette)
- Attend Senior Bootcamp Workshop to receive additional professional development
- Complete at least one internship within my major
- Attend a corporate or industry-based panel presentation
For Graduate School
- Develop a plan to continue my education past the undergraduate level
- Choose two or three specific programs that are right for me. Research the admissions requirements for these programs and begin to assemble an application package that can be used for their applications.
- Maintain connections with professors and staff that can write recommendations. Reach out for recommendations as needed. Check in with mentors about my plans for graduate studies.
- Research which exams I will need to apply to the programs I wish to join (e.g. GMAT, GRE, LSAT). Begin to study for the exam I need for my graduate program.
- After deciding on which program is right for me, apply to the program and take the relevant exam.
- Draft a strong graduate school personal statement
- Attend graduate school open houses and CUNY-wide events promoting graduate studies
Community and Global Experience
- Participate in Senior Journeys programming such as SEEK graduation celebration, graduation cap decorating, etc.
- Submit senior spotlight testimony of experiences in SEEK to the SEEK Journeys contact person
- Order commencement tickets and cap and gown
- Take my senior photo portrait for the yearbook
- Attend the SEEK Awards
- Attend June Graduation
- Join the Baruch Alumni Association
- Subscribe to the SEEK Alumni newsletter
- Consider volunteering as a SEEK Alumni Liaison after graduation
- If I am interested in post-graduation global experience, I will apply to the Fulbright Fellowship and/or the Peace Corps
- Have you filed for financial aid?
- Have you updated your FASFA with current information for the upcoming year?
- Have you verified that you are applying for financial aid for the current year?
- Have you reviewed the Baruch Financial Aid Services document?
- Have you checked CUNYfirst for any outstanding “FIN AID TO DO LIST?”
- Have you checked CUNYfirst for any Bursar holds?
- Have you checked your “Account Inquiry” tab on CUNYfirst ?
- If selected for verification, have you submitted all documents?
- If your courses have been determined by the Registrar to not be TAP compliant, have you completed online TAP compliance application?
- Did you complete the TAP compliance form?
- Have you checked FACTS to confirm your TAP compliance status?
- Have you checked DegreeWorks to confirm your TAP compliance status?
- Is your major/minor reflected on your transcript?
- Do you have full time status as a student (12+ Credits)?
- Have you indicated that you plan to be a fifth year student?
- Have you informed Portia Goodman that you are a fifth year student?
- TAP Compliance: Indira.firstname.lastname@example.org – Registrar Office
- TAP: Portia.email@example.com – Bursar Office
- PELL: FASSEEK@baruch.cuny.edu – Financial Aid Office
- If you are graduating and took out a loan, have you done the loan exit counseling?
- Have you indicated on your Financial Aid form you are a fifth year student?
Please bring your copy of your benchmarks to all your meetings with your SEEK Counselor to discuss your progress.