First Year Student Orientation
Covid-19 Update: Due to the COVID-19 outbreak all Orientation programs for the entering class of Fall 2020 will be held online. Visit CUNY’s Coronavirus site for up to date information on CUNY’s response to COVID-19.
Visit https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/coronavirus/ for Baruch’s plans for continuity and resources for students.
All communications will be sent to your Baruch email. Claim your account here.
Check your Baruch email for your invitation to online orientation. Review the pre-orientation tutorial carefully, the last slide will connect you to the registration calendar. Registration is required.
First year students are registered for a block program after the completion of the orientation program.
The information below are the steps for in-person orientation. Due to Covid 19 all orientation programs will be virtual/on-line. All staff members are currently working remotely. Please send your questions to Orientation@baruch.cuny.edu or reach the Admissions staff at New.Freshman@baruch.cuny.edu.
Download the Freshman Curriculum Guide to follow along with your online Orientation program.
Beginning on May 13th students can meet with a faculty advisor in the Math Department on ZOOM. Click here to view the Summer 2020 Math Advisor Schedule.
Welcome to Baruch College!
Your first introduction to life at Baruch will be your New Student Orientation day. Your academic advisors and orientation leaders look forward to welcoming you and helping you navigate this exciting transition. Please review our website to learn more about Baruch’s Orientation program.
How to Receive an Invitation & Register for Orientation
Step 1: Accept your offer of admission via CUNYfirst.
Step 2: Submit the $100 commitment deposit via CUNYfirst.
Step 3: Take any proficiency exam(s) that may be required based on your Testing Ticket. Newly admitted students no longer need to take the math placement exam. Previous coursework will be used towards placement.
Step 4: Invitations are emailed on a rolling basis. Please review the invitation carefully and click on the ‘Registration’ link.
Step 5: The link will connect to PIVOT, your Pathways Introductory Virtual Orientation Tutorial.
Step 6: Once you complete the entire PIVOT tutorial (about 20 minutes), the last slide will connect to the registration calendar. Once you are on the calendar you will be able to select your Orientation date. Save this link in case you want to change your date.
What to expect
- A chance to meet other new students and upperclassmen
- An introduction to life at Baruch College
- Hear all about the clubs and leadership opportunities on campus
- Meet with an academic advisor in a group setting
- Get registered for your first semester
- Receive your new Baruch student ID card
- Space is limited, friends and family are not permitted to attend orientation
The Orientation Program runs from 10 am until 5:30 pm. You must arrive on time and stay for the entire day.
- Welcome Program
- Writing Proficiency Exam
- Introduction to Baruch College life and academics
- Registration for your first semester
- Baruch Technology session
What to Bring to Orientation
- An official picture ID
- Know your CUNYfirst username and password
- Your immunization records (only if not yet submitted)
- Your social security number (the card itself is not necessary)
- Updated Advanced Placement (AP) test scores (only if not yet submitted)
- A copy of your College Now transcripts (only if not yet submitted)
- Your Orientation RSVP confirmation email
While we appreciate the support of friends and family, space is limited; New Student Orientation is for students only. Parents will be invited to a separate Parent Orientation as part of the Annual Convocation Day program (summer only).
Incoming first year students have the opportunity to participate in a Learning Community in their first semester. A Learning Community consists of two courses that are linked together for the purpose of providing a more profound understanding of the material in a small group setting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please visit our FAQ page for further information.