Winter 2021 – Faculty Memo – Student Course and Faculty Evaluations
This is a copy of a memo sent on January 19, 2021 to the members of the Baruch College Faculty
Winter 2021 Student Course and Faculty Evaluation Schedule
The Winter 2021 Student Course and Faculty Evaluation period for your Winter 2021 course(s) can be found online at: https://enrollmentmanagement.baruch.cuny.edu/evaluations/schedule-of-evaluations/winter-2021-student-course-and-faculty-evaluation-schedule/
Please review the schedule of your course(s) and if the evaluation period listed occurs after the last day of instruction for your class, please email email@example.com so that we can make modifications.
Over the last few semesters, the College has averaged around 50% student participation in the Student Course and Faculty Evaluation process. While this is higher than the reported national average for on-line evaluations; the College would like to do better.
In order to generate the best participation rate possible, it would be helpful if you could set aside five minutes during a class to speak with your students about the online course evaluation process.
Here are a few talking points recommended by members of the faculty you may wish to use when you are speaking with your students:
- Student Course and Faculty Evaluations are anonymous and confidential. Baruch College Faculty and Staff are not able to see an individual student’s response. All results are returned only in aggregate.
- Students should be honest as their feedback cannot influence the grade in your class. Instructors will not have access to this semester’s evaluations until after final grades have been released.
- The evaluation process takes less than five minutes, an email will be sent out to their Baruch College email address when the evaluation period is opened, or they can go to https://baruch.cuny.edu/EVALS to access the system.
- You (and other instructors) acutally use the student’s feedback from past course evaluations. You may want to give some examples. (For example: ‘Last semester the evaluations commented on the timing of the project, and that is why this term I have adjusted when the projected is done.’)
- Students are able to access evaluation results via the Your Input Matters! Student Course and Faculty Evaluaiton website (https://baruch.cuny.edu/EVALS) which are posted 6 — 8 weeks after the semester.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Testing and Evaluation via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your can have your students complete the evaluation during class time. If you would like your students to complete the evaluation during class time, here are a few suggestions on how to facilitate this:
- If you are holding an in person/on-campus session, let your students knomw that you plan to do the evaluations during a specific class and that they should bring their smart phone, tablet or laptop. (Students who need access to technology devices should visit https://baruch.cuny.edu/techdistribution/ for assistance).
- If you are holding a live/synchronous class session, let your students know that you plan to do the evaluations during a specific session and that they should have access to their Baruch College email account for their personal evaluation link.
- Students can use the personalized link for the evaluation that was sent to their Baruch College email account, or they can go to https://baruch.cuny.edu/EVALS to log in to the Evaluation System. (You might want to write this on the board, post it on the applicable Learning Management System, such as Blackboard, or distribute copies of the flyer available at https://enrollmentmanagement.baruch.cuny.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2020/09/YourInputMatter1659_OneClickEvaluations85x11.pdf.)
- The students’ login information is the same username and password that they use to access campus computers, Baruch Student Email and campus Wi-Fi. (If you have students on permit or who do not know their Baruch College username, password or email address please direct them to the Baruch Username webpage https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/bctc/baruchusername to lookup their credentials.)
Please note: if you are administering the evaluations in class, you must step outside the classroom/leave the online session for the designated period (roughly 15 minutes). The recommended best practice is to set aside 15 minutes within the class session, making it clear that you intend to continue with the class after the evaluation session ends.
Going over this information at the start of the evaluation period will set the stage for a higher response rate in your class and for Baruch College as a whole.
Answers to many common questions can be found in the Quick Guides on the Your Input Matters! Student Course and Faculty Evaluation website (https://baruch.cuny.edu/EVALS) or by using the Your Input Matters! Online Support System (https://baruch.cuny.edu/evaluation_support).
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Gary Hotko in the Office of Testing and Evaluation via email (email@example.com) or via our Virtual Office service (https://enrollmentmanagement.baruch.cuny.edu/testingandevaluation/virtual-office-of-testing-and-evaluation/).